Attorney Richard A. Rice, Jr.
A Trusted Atlanta Criminal Defense Lawyer
As a former federal prosecutor and a dedicated
criminal defense attorney, Attorney Richard Rice fights diligently to safeguard the rights
of his clients. As a member of Mensa International, an organization only
open to those persons whose IQ is in the top 2% of world’s population,
he uses his considerable knowledge of the law to defend his client’s futures
For his dedication, Attorney Rice has been honored to receive numerous
Being named a “Legal Elite” by
Georgia Trend Magazine
Inclusion on the
Georgia Super Lawyers® list
An Avvo Rating of 10.0 Superb
Being named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Experience as a Former Prosecutor
As an Assistant United States Attorney, Richard Rice served as a federal
prosecutor in the Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF)
section. He investigated and prosecuted international drug trafficking
and money laundering organizations operating throughout the Western hemisphere.
Mr. Rice was an expert in investigations involving electronic surveillance,
such as Title III (wiretap) investigations.
Mr. Rice also coordinated multi-jurisdictional and interagency investigations
and prosecuted the full spectrum of federal crimes, including:
Experience as Judge Advocate General’s Corps of the United States Navy
As an officer in the Navy JAG Corps, Rice achieved a stunning acquittal
rate of over 80% in contested courts-martial. These results are more impressive
given the fact that he tried more cases than any other defense counsel
in the second largest military district.
This success continued as Richard Rice next served as appellate defense
counsel for defendants in the Navy and Marine Corps located throughout
the world. For instance, Richard Rice
appealed the conviction and sentence of a senior non-commissioned officer who had
been sentenced to over twenty years in prison. The conviction and sentence
were overturned and then the client was acquitted of all charges when
the Government again prosecuted the Marine.
Richard Rice obtained the rank of Lieutenant Commander and was awarded
both the Navy and Marine Achievement Medal and the Navy and Marine Corps
Commendation Medal for his work as a defense counsel.
- The American Bar Association
- The Atlanta Bar
- The Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- The Federal Bar Association (Atlanta Chapter)
- The Sorin Society of the University of Notre Dame
- The Army Navy Club of Washington, D.C.
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- The Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- The United States Supreme Court Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
University of Notre Dame Law School - Juris Doctorate
- Managing Editor of the Journal of Law, Ethics & Public Policy
- White Scholar at the Thomas J. White Center on Law and Government
- University of Georgia- Bachelor’s Degree